Lost your Safe Pass card. You can get another Safe Pass Card from Solas. There is a form that must be completed by you. Click here if you wish to download the form. If you wish to contact Solas their phone number is 01 5332500.
Modern Training methods.
What is E-learning?
E-learning (occasionally described online learning) is a term used for the delivery of training/knowledge/education using technological based methods. This type of learning is often delivered via digital electronic means, e.g. by the use of a computer, or a smart phone. This type of learning is getting very popular and is an ideal method for the delivery of some Training courses. Universities, such as Trinity College Dublin, U.C.D. the University of Strathclyde, Solas and large growing number of organisations such as Liebherr, IOSH, the H.S.A. the Law society of Ireland and the CIF (Construction Industry Federation) deliver good quality courses via these methods.
The advantages of E-learning include the following –
- It saves time and money. Older training methods are both time consuming and costly to upgrade.
- It saves on travel costs, as you do not travel to the training course.
- Most classroom based training courses are only available during the working week. E-learning allows you to Learn outside of office hours at a place or pace that suits you. The learner can take the course 24hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. (learner must have access to the world wide web – internet).
- Everyone learns at a different rate. This can cause difficulties in classroom courses because the trainer goes either too fast or too slow. E-learning can be completed in the privacy of your own home, so there is no need to keep up with everyone else. You can keep repeating the course until you are 100% happy that you understand the learning outcomes.
- Feedback from people who have completed these courses are very positive. Most remark that is a fantastic means of learning, and unlike traditional classroom training is very cost and time efficient.
- Courses can be tailor made for different employers and these courses can be updated when required. It is easy to update these courses, and this is essential in in this fast changing world.
- E-learning is sometimes used to provide foundation learning in advance of live training.
- It can be used to complement inhouse training.
What is M-learning?
M-learning or mobile learning is a popular method used to provide training including refresher training to train employees in the modern workplace. There is a feasible and growing reliance among the modern workforce to use mobile devices to carry out research, access e-mails, and these devices provide an ideal method to attend some training courses. Its uses has been helped with the following changes –
- The growth of cloud computing and cloud based data storage.
- The increased data transmission speeds make mobile devices ideal for the delivery of audio and video based training courses.
The use of m-learning when combined with blended learning, or instructor led training is a remarkable opportunity for learners to take part in mandatory training, to refresh their knowledge of the latest health and safety requirements, and to learn new skills.
What is micro learning?
Microlearning, often called bite-sized learning, is a term used by organisations to provide formal and informal learning. It usually consists of a short, up to 5 minutes, focused learning module designed to meet a specific learning outcome. These modules are accessible on multiple devices and these learning modules make them ideal for just in time training.
What is blended learning?
Blended learning allows you to train your learners is lots of ways. It often involves the provision of top quality audio and video media and is often described as the best of both worlds. Blended learning is a term used to describe the learning available from a course which is made up of both an e-learning course and face to face training in a classroom setting. Traditional classrooms are also benefiting from technological changes and can now include both a physical training room or a virtual classroom. This type of training combines the muscle of both traditional and online learning methods.. If the learner encounters any problem, difficulties , Seamus O Sullivan Training can be contacted and Seamus will be delighted to clarify any issues. Certificates from both blended learning and face to face training are usually the same.
The success of any training module depends on the provision of the correct information in a suitable manner to the chosen audience. Modern Training methods such as m-learning, e-learning and blended learning rely on having a suitable qualified and competent trainer who is fully up-to date with training methods and who is a subject matter expert.
Virtual Reality (VT)
VT s a digital based location that simulates a realistic location.
Augmented Reality (AR)
AR is getting popular in some training environments, as it deals with the real environment augmented by a digital creation.
What is a PPS number? A PPS Number is a Personal Public Service number (PPSN) and is a unique reference number given to you that helps you access social welfare benefits and public services in Ireland. Please note: you must have a PPS number to attend a Safe Pass course.
Photo Guidelines for Safe Pass. To attend a Solas Safe Pass course you MUST arrive to the course with two recently taken passport type photos. It is required that the photos are of good quality. Poor quality photos will be rejected by Solas. you will NOT be allowed attend the Safe Pass course if you arrive with poor quality photos. See below some pointers which might be of assistance. The photographer that take the photos is usually aware of the requirements. If you get photos from a machine in a photo booth, you might need to adjust the seat as if it is too low part of your head might be missing on the photo.
The two photos that you bring MUST (for admin purposes) be identical and show a close up of your face and the top of your shoulders so that your face takes up between 70% and 80% of the frame.
Tips to consider when getting your photos taken.
- Centre your head in the photo
- Do look directly at the camera
- No hair should be across your face or eyes.
- Your face must be clearly visible
- The background must be plain and light coloured
- Do make sure your facial features are clearly visible, from the bottom of your chin to the crown of your head
- Don’t tilt your head up/down or left/right
Tips to consider regarding your expression while the photo is being taken.
- Do keep your facial expressions neutral (no raised eyebrows, frowns)
- Do keep both eyes open and your mouth closed
- Don’t smile
- Glasses, head covers and clothing
- Do wear your glasses (if you normally wear them) but make sure there’s no reflection on the lenses and the frames don’t obscure your eyes
- Don’t wear sunglasses or glasses with tinted lenses, unless they’re prescription
- Don’t wear a head covering unless it’s for religious reasons
- Don’t wear a hair band.
The size of the two photos
- The photos need to be about 35mm x 45mm
Lighting and focus
- Photos must be in sharp focus and correctly exposed
- Shadows from the head must not appear in the background
- Good colour balance and natural skin tones are essential
- ‘Red eye’ in photographs is not acceptable
- A clear contrast is needed between facial features and background
Good quality photos are required
- Photos must be printed on photo-quality paper at a high resolution
- There must be no ink marks or creases
- Digital enhancements or changes are not acceptable
- The reverse of the photos must be white and unglazed (you will, on the day, be required to sign the back of the photo)
- The photos can be black and white photos or colour photos
- I have only one photo, is that ok: No, You require two identical photos, no more than 6 months old with the Safe Pass application
- Can I leave the course to get photos? No, you are required to arrive with 2 Safe Pass type photos and they are required by the trainer on the morning of the course
- Can I use my previous Safe Pass photo? No: your photo must have been taken within the last 6 months.
- I wear a head covering for religious purposes, is it ok for me to wear it in my photo?If you wear a head covering for religious reasons you are allowed to wear it in your Safe Pass photo. All other types of head accessories cannot be worn.
- Can I wear glasses?Transparent glasses may be worn so long as the frames do not cover any part of the eye or cause glare or shadows. Sunglasses must not be worn.
- Can my photo be a selfie?No.
- I have a paper photo, will that do?No, Scanned photos must not be used, obtain a good quality Safe Pass type photograph using the methods described on our site before making your application
People with disabilities
If you have a disability that prevents you meeting all of these requirements, Contact this office by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be very happy to help you.