To attend a Solas Safe Pass course you MUST arrive to the course with two recently taken passport type photos. It is required that the photos are of good quality. Poor quality photos will be rejected by Solas. you will NOT be allowed attend the Safe Pass course if you arrive with poor quality photos. See below some pointers which might be of assistance. The photographer that take the photos is usually aware of the requirements. If you get photos from a machine in a photo booth, you might need to adjust the seat as if it is too low part of your head might be missing on the photo.
The two photos that you bring MUST (for admin purposes) be identical and show a close up of your face and the top of your shoulders so that your face takes up between 70% and 80% of the frame.
Tips to consider when getting your photos taken.
- Centre your head in the photo
- Do look directly at the camera
- No hair should be across your face or eyes.
- Your face must be clearly visible
- The background must be plain and light coloured
- Do make sure your facial features are clearly visible, from the bottom of your chin to the crown of your head
- Don’t tilt your head up/down or left/right
Tips to consider regarding your expression while the photo is being taken.
- Do keep your facial expressions neutral (no raised eyebrows, frowns)
- Do keep both eyes open and your mouth closed
- Don’t smile
- Glasses, head covers and clothing
- Do wear your glasses (if you normally wear them) but make sure there’s no reflection on the lenses and the frames don’t obscure your eyes
- Don’t wear sunglasses or glasses with tinted lenses, unless they’re prescription
- Don’t wear a head covering unless it’s for religious reasons
- Don’t wear a hair band.
The size of the two photos
- The photos need to be about 35mm x 45mm
Lighting and focus
- Photos must be in sharp focus and correctly exposed
- Shadows from the head must not appear in the background
- Good colour balance and natural skin tones are essential
- ‘Red eye’ in photographs is not acceptable
- A clear contrast is needed between facial features and background
Good quality photos are required
- Photos must be printed on photo-quality paper at a high resolution
- There must be no ink marks or creases
- Digital enhancements or changes are not acceptable
- The reverse of the photos must be white and unglazed (you will, on the day, be required to sign the back of the photo)
- The photos can be black and white photos or colour photos
- I have only one photo, is that ok: No, You require two identical photos, no more than 6 months old with the Safe Pass application
- Can I leave the course to get photos? No, you are required to arrive with 2 Safe Pass type photos and they are required by the trainer on the morning of the course
- Can I use my previous Safe Pass photo? No: your photo must have been taken within the last 6 months.
- I wear a head covering for religious purposes, is it ok for me to wear it in my photo?If you wear a head covering for religious reasons you are allowed to wear it in your Safe Pass photo. All other types of head accessories cannot be worn.
- Can I wear glasses?Transparent glasses may be worn so long as the frames do not cover any part of the eye or cause glare or shadows. Sunglasses must not be worn.
- Can my photo be a selfie?No.
- I have a paper photo, will that do?No, Scanned photos must not be used, obtain a good quality Safe Pass type photograph using the methods described on our site before making your application
People with disabilities
If you have a disability that prevents you meeting all of these requirements, Contact this office by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be very happy to help you.